Choosing a Halloween Costume for Kids

It seems like this fall season is flying by with October already here. Halloween is just three weeks away and if you haven’t already figured out what costume your children will be wearing, now is the time!

My boys are all set for their costumes, but Emily needed something to wear, so I was glad to have the chance to review something for her. There are so many choices for Halloween costumes and it can be hard to make a decision. It can also be hard to justify paying for an outfit that kids will only wear once, which is why I always buy costumes with dress-up play in mind. Emily loves to dress up and pretends to be everything from a cook to a princess. It’s always fun to see what she comes up with.

This year, she and I had fun picking out her costume. From cartoon characters to cute animal Halloween costumes, there are so many options. We debated choosing a princess costume like Rapunzel, but in the end, Emily decided she wanted to be be an animal for this year and picked out this adorable Littlest Pet Shop monkey costume. She loves monkeys and has really enjoyed playing with the Littlest Pet Shop toys recently, so it was a perfect fit.

While I wouldn’t say it’s great quality material, it’s the same as you find with most costumes and it does the job. I like that there are little details like the bow on the front and the cute monkey tale.

Sizing can sometimes be tricky with Halloween costumes. I always advise going bigger. You never know if you’ll need to put extra layers under the costume for those chilly trick-or-treating nights (like we have to here in New Hampshire), plus they tend to run small (in my opinion) anyways. Even though Emily generally wears a size 6 now, I ordered the size medium (7-8) for her and I’m glad I did. It fits her perfectly.

Emily loves her new costume and I’m happy too!

What are your children wearing this year?

Erika, the founder of Musings From a SAHM, is happily married with four energetic children. She lives in New Hampshire and has a passion for encouraging other moms, photography, and Jesus. She also enjoys baking, spending time with friends, and attempting to keep her home organized.

Comments

1. The tail is so cute! Very creative!

2. Mya Murphy says:

awwwwwwww adorable. I’ve always been one to be cheap and easy, like a ghost lol.. I’m not too creative material-wise, and I’m NOT going to spend very much $$$ for just a couple hours of kids getting candy. I think that’s ridiculous, but it could just be me.

3. Sherrie C.

This is such a cute monkey costume and I love the tail and I think my granddaughter would too. She loves monkeys :). As for costumes, we always order a size bigger too because most of the costumes I’ve purchased seem to run a size smaller than stated.

4. Jennifer Young says:

That’s really cute! My girls keep changing their minds on what they want to be, but my 5 year old I think is going to be a flower and my 3 year old a bee! We’ll see if that’s what they stick with, lol!

5. Amy Peschel says:

Unfortunately, there are inappropriate costumes available for young kids. It’s certainly the parents responsibility to help their children.

6. Paula Proffitt

Wow what a cute and non expensive costume! what a sweetheart!

7. Carolyn A Colley (Griffith, Smith)

How cute, good tips, I won a $75 GC from Halloween Express and my grandson wanted Scooby doo, and my granddaughter want blood, dark makeup and stuff like that.. It came in today, my grandson looked so adorable in it. Of course I would not have ever paid that kind of money, but he is so tickled with it and it was a WIN.

8. melissa williams says:

my daughter also loves monkeys and littlest pet shop! I never knew that they had littlest pet shop costumes, it looks very comfortable to go trick or treating in. Thanks for the awesome review!

9. I love this it looks comfy and simple and very cute!

10. Julita K

Cute!!! My girls and I love LPS!!

11. I made my daughter a tutu and got some fairy wings and that was her costume and my son went thru the box of past years costumes and mixed and matched for his! Saved a lot of money doing it that way!