How YouTube Saved Us $1000

I’m not kidding when I say that YouTube saved us $1000 this past Friday; it really did. We ended up with a little “adventure” on our hands after driving up to the White Mountains on Friday. But keep reading…

We went to Loon Mountain, as a last day of “summer” kind of day. I’ve been going there since I was a little girl and have always enjoyed the beautiful views and fun gondola ride up the mountainside. It’s one of my favorite places. Nate and I even spent our honeymoon there. I find the mountains so peaceful and calming, and with my surgery coming up quickly next week, I needed a dose of peace for sure!

Once we arrived, we rode in the gondola up the mountainside to the beautiful summit at 2,750 feet. At the top, we walked around to see some of the viewpoints. There’s one section with glacial “caves” that you can go in and the kids were excited to head down there. We started in that direction, but then Luke started screaming. Now he was in a mood that day and throwing lots of stubborn almost-two-year-old tantrums (it didn’t help that he missed his nap) so it took us a few minutes to realize that something was wrong.

Just before

Luke’s elbow had pulled out of the socket again – aka Nurse Maid’s Elbow. The same thing happened back in June and I took him to the ER. The doctor took 2 seconds to pop his elbow back in and then sent us a $1,000 bill. I was told that Luke would be more likely to get nurse maid’s elbow again. I just wouldn’t have guessed it would have happened on top of a mountain! This time, Nate had been holding Luke’s hand while walking along with him and Luke threw himself on the ground, as 1 year olds like to to do. I guess that’s all it needed.

So there we are standing on top of a mountain with a screaming 1 year old and three other kids asking “Why can’t we go to the caves? I want to go to the caves! Come on, let’s go!” And then it starts pouring rain. Really? You can’t make this stuff up, folks. I tell you!

Our choices were to head back down the mountain and go to the clinic down the street or to the hospital 30 minutes away. Or we could try to pop his elbow back in ourselves. We hadn’t done that before, but we decided it was worth a try since so many people had told us how they’ve easily done it with their kids at home, saving their child from a lot of pain and themselves the $$ doctor bill. Of course, if it was really needed, we would have brought Luke to the doctor in a second.

There was no way around it; we had to head back down the mountain. By that time, I was practically in tears myself. So much for my day of peace; I was more stressed than before, feeling so bad for my poor Lukey in pain!

At the base of the mountain, we had phone reception again and Nate looked up YouTube. We found a video - here. We figured we’d try it with YouTube one time quickly and, if it didn’t work, we would buckle Luke in the carseat and drive the 2 miles to the clinic.

Thankfully, that didn’t happen – with the very first try, Luke’s elbow popped right back in place. He stopped crying, reached for his sippy cup, and then squirmed to be put down so he could run around with his siblings. It worked! I was so relieved! Thank You, Jesus!

After a short rest, we climbed back into the gondola and went back up the mountain and to the caves. Luke climbed up and down the hundreds of stairs like nothing had happened.

And I had my moment of “peace”

So not only did YouTube save us $1000, but it also saved us a fun family day. Now that’s a blog post I never thought I’d write, but that’s the Mom Life for you!

Erika, the founder of Musings From a SAHM, is happily married and a homeschooling mom to four children. She lives in New Hampshire and has a passion for writing, encouraging other moms, her family, and Jesus. She also enjoys baking, spending time with friends, and is an aspiring photographer.

Comments

1. Sara Zielinski

Wow that is a great story, glad you were able to save the money!

2. heather hrpcha says:

that was a great story thanks for youtube you saved that money

3. What a cool story! I’m so glad he’s OK and that you got your moment of peace. I’m not sure I would have thought to check you tube under those circumstances… good job!
    susan recently posted..Really, who’s the boss?My Profile

4. Jamie Brigham

This is such a great yet sad story, I am so sorry he has to go through this but am so glad you were able to put it back in quickly and stop his pain, plus saving your self the drs bill will enable you to do more things as a family with the money you saved. Will this ever improve or is there a surgery that can be done maybe when he is older to prevent this from happening? Sorry I am asking so many ?’s I’ve never heard about this and am curious.

• Not a problem, Jamie! I don’t mind answering questions. :)
      This is actually not uncommon with little kids- their joints and ligaments are looser. This happened to my brother-in-law all the time when he was a small child. Apparently it runs in the family!
      It’s not permanent – as they get older, it stops happening. At least that’s what I’ve been told. Luke should be fine. :)
      And it’s really amazing how quickly he gets over it- back and running like nothing happened!
      Erika recently posted..How YouTube Saved Us $1000My Profile

5. Doreen Musson

Scarey happening but glad it all worked out!

6. Wow, it’s wonderful what the internet can do for us. I glad he’s okay.

7. I’ve never heard of this. Thanks for the youtube link. Hopefully I won’t ever have to use it!

8. Katherine G

That was an awesome story!!! Youtube has saved us some money too. Youtube can be a person’s best friend.
    Katherine G recently posted..Wordless Wednesday (Pool fun)My Profile

9. Glad you were able to regain your day of peace. Good luck with the surgery. I honestly woud have never thought of turning to youtube for that. De

10. Oh wow—how scary but I am so glad it worked and saved you money as well!

11. Carolyn N. says:

Thank you for sharing your story with us. I am glad that your little one is okay!
    cjnedrow at gmail dot com

12. Nena Sinclair

I’m glad it all worked out for you in the end! Poor little guy, that must have been so painful! I hope your surgery goes well! Take care!

13. Now that’s a story for the grandkids.Lol! I’m glad your baby boy is ok. Your kids are all so cute. Thank you for sharing those beautiful pics. I always wonder how can people not believe in God while looking at a view like that. I don’t know where you live but it’s absolutely beautiful and majestic. I’m glad you got your peace you needed. You’re always in my thoughts and prayers Erica. God Bless :)

14. My sister had nursing maids elbow when she was little and I have pictures of at least two occasions where we pulled it out before they taught my parents how to pop it back in. My little guy – currently 4 – has it as well. It took three visits before they showed us. One would think they would show you after the first visit how to pop it back in since once they get it, it happens more than once! Greedy, money hungry animals! I am glad you were able to figure it out on your own and not have to go in to have someone else pop it in. I really wish doctors would get their heads on straight and teach us this stuff the first time around instead of wasting money having a doctor do such a simple task (although I refuse to pop it back in – hubby has to do it!)
    Leila recently posted..Cinderella and The Outsiders with Mommy Bear MediaMy Profile

15. Wow! $1000! I thank God for youtube and the internet! We have so much information at our fingertips! It was because of the internet that I was able to find different remedies for handling a Bartholin’s Cyst! Can’t imagine not having the internet to research just about everything!
    Such a beautiful view!
    Saph recently posted..My Healing Testimony from a Bartholin’s CystMy Profile

16. No way!!! My daughter has had the nurse maid’s elbow twice now too!!! She turned two back in June so it sounds like our kids are about the same age! I would not have held it together as well as you did. Good job!! Fortunately my husband now deems himself an expert at popping her elbow back into place. *CRINGE!!!*

• Glad your husband can do it for your daughter. It wasn’t so cringe-worthy for me as I just wanted him to feel better and would do what it took. I’m glad I learned because he popped it out once more a week ago too!
      Your daughter’s about 6 months older than Luke, as he turns 2 in January. Neat that they are close in age!
      Erika recently posted..Provella Probiotics for WomenMy Profile