I’ve had many people ask me how to get started with blogging. Often one of the first questions is:
Should I even try to start a blog?
Yes, you should. While it’s true that there are thousands of blogs and more popping up each day, don’t let that stop you. There is only one you.
Think about why you want to blog. Do you want to connect with family who live far away? Do you want to encourage others? Are you an expert on a subject that you’d love to share? Do you simply want to journal stories? Are you a photographer and want to show off those wonderful shots?
Those are just a few of the many reasons. Plus blogging is free. Of course you can always spend money to get a nicer blog, but it doesn’t have to cost anything.
Maybe you’re not sure what you want your blog to be about at this point. That’s okay; you can figure it out as you go. While it’s ideal if you can find a “niche,” sometimes there just isn’t one and guess what? It’s your blog, so you can do it however you want. Granted, if you do have a focal point (for me – it’s The Mom Life – real mom perspective for you!), that can make it easier instead of going all over the place. If you don’t know where your blog is heading, your readers won’t either.
How did YOU get started?
I began this blog in 2007 as a place to journal stories about my kids. I’m a writer by nature so it was right up my alley. In 2010, I realized that I could use my blog for some neat opportunities and began moving in that direction. It’s taken a tremendous amount of work (and still is!) but it’s been a great journey so far.
I’ve certainly had highs and lows with blogging and I’ve come to realize that my low times have been when I lost sight of myself in the process. Such as when I’ve done too many reviews/promotional stuff and wasn’t blogging for me and my readers. My favorite articles are the ones where I’m just being myself and honest. It could be a vent about a long day (cause, yes, I’m real ya’all!) or blogging tips, like this, where I can help others; this is what I love.
What should I name my blog?
So it’s decided – you want to start a blog. Let’s get down to the practical side of things. How do you get started?
How to name your blog is very important. While you can change it later, it’s best to pick a good name to start with.
A couple tips I would recommend:
- Stay away from common names – “Confessions of” and “Tales of” etc. Even “Musings” is a little too common and I confess if I knew what I know now, I’d have picked something else.
- Avoid long names. Even Musings From a Stay At Home Mom is a bit on the long side. Again, if I started over, I’d have gone with something a little shorter.
- Make sure it’s something people can pronounce. If you pick a weird name, it’s harder for people to remember.
- If you’re careful about privacy concerns, don’t use your last name in your blog name. Many bloggers do; it’s a personal choice. While my last name has gotten “out” more than I initially planned it to, I still won’t boldly proclaim it.
A couple helpful articles:
- SheKnows – Finding the Perfect Name For Your Blog
- Dummies – Set Your Mom Blog Apart
- 5 Minutes for Mom – Name That Blog!
All that being said, while it’s important to choose a good name for your blog, don’t let it stop you from getting started. If you’re anything like me, you analyze things way too much. So yes, think about it, but then jump in and go for it.
Next week, look for Blogging 101: Getting Started
— Erika Bragdon (@MusingsSAHM) August 14, 2012