A Picnik Replacement (It’s Not Google+)

Whether you’re a blogger or you simply like a good online photo editing service, you’re probably familiar with Picnik and all its photo editing glory. If you’re not familiar with Picnik, don’t leave yet; you’ll still want to hear this!

Picnik sold out to Google a couple years ago and the giant G is shutting them down, effective April 19th. The plan is to integrate Picnik’s features into a Google+ program. Google is trying to force everyone to connect to Google+, like services do to Facebook & Twitter. The only problem? Forcing people to make changes that drastic and taking away an amazing service and replacing it with something only so-so is only going to drive people to find another solution.

And I’m one of them. I’m a big Picnik fan and was not happy when I heard the news. But I knew a suitable picnik replacement would turn up somewhere and I found it last week.

PicMonkey seems to be very similar to Picnik. It even has the Picnik gears that turn while your photo saves. It’s very intuitive as you play with the features, which many other services lack. When I read the “About” page, I learned why. PicMonkey has “former Picnik engineers” behind it. This is as close to Picnik as I’ve found.

Oh yeah and PicMonkey is free too.

What I Like:

• I can resize photos easily by specifying the width &/or height and it keeps the proportions, so there’s no distortion. For example, I’ve found that, for my blog, photos fit best at a width of 580 and it’s easy to resize to this.
  • Easy-to-add cool effects are available, including black and white, frost, different zoom options and camera looks, and many more. One of my favorites is the dark edges look, as shown here:

• You can add text quickly and easily so you can watermark or label your photos – a must-have feature for me.
  • Add small graphics, such as symbols, flowers, etc. There aren’t as many graphics as Picnik though, but I rarely used them so that’s not a deal breaker for me
  • Borders. One of my favorite features. You can choose drop shadows, round corners, simple edges, polaroid, and museum matte.

What’s Missing:

• There’s no easy interface between Picasa (where I store most of my photos), Flickr, or other places. You have to upload everything from your computer and then save back to your computer.
  • There are fewer font options and graphics
  • There’s currently no collage feature (something I use a lot.) But PicMonkey’s homepage says “Collage and more coming soon!” I wouldn’t be surprised if they roll this out mid April right around the time Picnik leaves.

Try It Out

PicMonkey isn’t perfect. It’s not quite Picnik, but I have a feeling they’re going to keep improving it, especially as more people flock on over. Don’t forget: PicMonkey is free. So even if it doesn’t work for you, it won’t cost you anything to try it out.

Check it out. Let me know what you think!

Erika, the founder of Musings From a SAHM, is happily married with four energetic children. She lives in New Hampshire and has a passion for encouraging other moms, photography, and Jesus. She also enjoys baking, spending time with friends, and attempting to keep her home organized.

Comments

1. I have tried it and like it so far! I also found befunky but I don’t think it is as user friendly.

2. I love it! I love it for my pictures!

3. Amber Del Giudice

Thanks for sharing. I will have to check it out in my spare time :)

4. thanks – my sister used Picnik and she will be excited to hear about PicMonkey
    Renee recently posted..$10 Amazon GC for just $5 from Amazon Local!My Profile

5. Fantastic info Erika! Thanks so much..I’ll be sure and share with all my bloggy friends!!
    Blessings!
    Shari Lynne recently posted..AttitudeMy Profile

6. Mellissa Hanks

I haven’t used picnik in years but always look forward to new things :O)

7. Nice. I was a fan of Picnik, I may have to check out PicMonkey. Thanks :)
    Deanna U recently posted..Spring Cleaning and Laundry Printable Coupons: Windex, Pledge, Shout, Scrubbing Bubbles, CloroxMy Profile

8. Thankyou!
    Cass recently posted..Isn’t She Lovely?My Profile

9. This is awesome! I was wondering what I was going to do without Picnik! Great post!
    Kelly recently posted..Fleming Drive is just one street in London {#LdnOnt}My Profile

10. love it

11. Hi Erika!

Big thanks from the PicMonkey team — we’re so glad you’re loving your new Picnik replacement! Let us know if you have questions or feedback, we’d love to hear from you!

Cheers,
    Jenn

12. I’m going to check it out right now. I just did a search looking for a replacement to picnik and found your blog!! I loved picnik and can’t believe it is going to google+. I really don’t want to join another social network so I figured there has to be other things out there that are as user friendly as picnik. The other one’s I have found are a bit cumbersome so I am anxious to try picmonkey! Thanks for the advice!!

13. Does anyone know how I can retrieve my PICNIKED collection?

14. Jessica says:

Thank you so much! I am also morning the loss of picnik. Your time and work on this is much appreciated.

15. LOVE IT! I was soooooo disappointed when Picnik closed their site – google+ is not even a close replacement. I just checked out PicMonkey and it has a very similar feel as Picnik. It is very easy to navigate. I have to take more time to explore this site, but so far I think I’m going to be just as happy with PicMonkey as I was with Picnik. PicMonkey now has a collage feature, but since I never used this feature on Picnik I don’t know how it compares to Picnik.

16. Nancy G. says:

I just found http://www.ribbet.com. It feels and looks exactly like Picnik. I am really happy about this find.

17. NerdyLutheranChick says:

Thank you so much! I’ve been trying to find a picnik replacement since they went away!

• Thanks for turning us on to PicMonkey! We did a tutorial on how to use it to create a custom holiday photocard and then send those photocards from conXt: http://cnxt.me/VHO40O If you’re interested, conXt is your paper address book online – and gathers, backs up, organizes, and automatically updates all your household contact info! You can print labels to make mailing cards from home easier, export mailing addresses from conXt to any online holiday card retailer, or choose to have conXt send your holiday cards for you! Please try us out, and please let me know what you think!
      Dan Greenberg recently posted..Take the work out of holiday cards!My Profile

18. MJ Brewer

Erika, thanks for the pickup on Picnik and PicMonkey. I’m a single mom with two kids, also homeschooling, while I attend school for screenwriting. I also have a blog and a requirement to write additional works with my schooling, so I’m pretty darned busy. However, I did find it beneficial to indulge in your page to discover new and useful ways to maneuver the photos.

Thanks for your assistance!

MJ
    MJ Brewer recently posted..Daddy’s Little GirlMy Profile

Trackbacks

1. […] warming up to PicMonkey. They have many of the same features, and the feel is the same. The blog Musings from a Stay at Home Mom provides a pretty good overview of PicMonkey. Check it out if you’re trying to replace […]